mandag den 21. april 2014

My first guest blogger...(Part 2)

This is an afterthought from J, with the pics!

P.S.
I amlost forgot to mention a fairly heated debate here in Seattle which has to do with public transportation! If memory serves me right, Maja has already blogged about public transportation in San Diego, which does exist....barely! We have taken a "Coaster" (train) ride once with the moms club we were in, but I have never attempted to take a bus ride with all three of my kids, thanks to Maja's disappointing story about her ride on the bus with Silke and Eric. Anyhow, imagine my surprise when we reached Seattle and Bellevue and found a very extensive bus network (actually, why it surprised me, I have no idea, escpecially with all of the major technology business nestled here in the Northwest). Anyhow, where we live now, a bus route runs right in front of our house at least 6 times an hour (3 times for southbound and 3 for northbound). And, while I have not tried the public transportation here, I have noticed that many people do (YEAH!). I have looked into taking the bus and how much it would cost and one of the major reasons we haven't taken the bus (no train system in Bellevue, but there are talks of one!) is that to get where we usually frequent, we'd have to take at least two or three buses and it would take at between an hour and two, depending on time of day and bus service, to travel up to five miles (which can be done in 15 minutes in a car)....and I with three kids ages five and under and with no room in the buses for strollers and not to mention if you would actually buy something while you're out and about. So, while I applaud the effort, there is room for improvement! Anyhow, the big discussion here is about Prop 1....there are a gazillion signs at every street corner, split between supporting the prop and opposing the prop. And what has everyone's panties in a bunch?? Yes, public transportation!! Those supporting Prop 1 supports imposing a yearly tax of $40 per car per year with the money going to improve the bus system and roads, while hopefully encouraging some to take the bus and ditch the car. Yes, there are pros and cons for everything and yes, that is a very broad summation of what the prop is all about and of course, it's politics, so there is probably some hidden agenda in there, too, that us citizens haven't picked up on yet.
And while I am now touching on the subject, just a few sentences on the town northeasr of Seattle called Redmond. Redmond has been dubbed "The Bicycling capital of the Northwest". I went for a drive through Redmond the other day and, well, disappointment set in when I didn't see a single bicycle on the one bike path going through town. Although, I understand, I have biked in San Diego and had heart palpatations the whole trip (which took 20 minutes). Most of the people biking here, bike on the sidewalks (I UNDERSTAND, I've seen how some people drive !!), but I will say it warms my heart, when I can look out my window and see bikes going by, joggers, walkers and the like at all times of the day. I cheer for them in my head (because let's face it, if I opened the window and yelled "Good job!", I would be dubbed neighborhood freak - heh, i might already have that title for other reasons, but that would be another blog in itself!).

Anyhow, my two cents. Carry on with your day, my ramblings are now officially done!

Pictures:
My husband and son in the rain, at this point it had rained for several days in a row (this was taken in the same rainstorm that the rainbow pic was taken in.

 Green, green everywhere, without a sprinkler in sight. Notice the decorative roof over top the mailboxes (why???) and also notice the thick layer of moss growing on top of the decorative roof.
 Moss and pollen growing on a broken down old car just sitting. Don't touch the car unless you want to turn green.
 A rare sight in San Diego and very bright strong colors that I haven't seen very often! This was taken from my porch.



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar