fredag den 28. februar 2014

Our library

One of the things I will miss is our library. Not that Danish libraries aren't great - because they are.
Yet there is a few things I find are done smarter here (and a few things that aren't). Bear in mind, I'm only talking about our local libary branch in Rancho Penasquitos. I can't speak for other libraries in the US...

Things I'll miss:

1) You can order books for free from other libraries in San Diego County (corresponds to bibliotek.dk). You have 13 days to pick up those books - as opposed to 7. It was quite difficult for me to do in Denmark, with my work schedule (10-18) and saturdays.. My library closed at 18 or 19, and opened at 10. See the problem?

2) if you do not pick up the book during these 13 days they will charge your account a re-stock fee of 1 dollar. I think that is fine - after all, transporting a book costs money, and if you don't pick it up, you've wasted someone elses time and dime..

3) every second year you have to renew your library card. You have to pay whatever fines you owe, show your drivers licence with your address. I think that is brilliant. It ensures that people owing money to the library will have to pay the fine to continue using this service.

4) If a book is late, it's not a fee per 7 days as in Denmark (you pay 20 crowns for the 1st-7th day, 30 for the 8th-15th day or something like that - can't remember the exact amounts) Here, every day the book is late will rack up 20 cents. It does provide an incentive to return the book as fast as possible to the library.

5) Book slot. If the library is closed there is a book slot where you can put your books in - the librarians will pick them up the next day and return them for you. So flexible! Love it!

And.. things I don't like:

1) You only have the book 3 weeks, as opposed to the 4 weeks you get in Denmark. Annoying!

2) you can only renew twice. I mean, if someone else needs the book, fine - but if no-one else has made a reservation, why shouldn't you be able to renew it again and again and again?? Better you have time to read it (and if it's a schoolbook you might need it for a while) than collecting dust on a shelf, is it not?

3) confusing opening hours. Monday 9,30 to 5 PM. Tues and wed - 12PM to 8PM. Thu and fri-9,30AM to 5PM. Saturday: 10AM-2PM. It is confusing and difficult to remember. I've often showed up believing it to be open, when it was closed. The plus-side is that, as opposed to my local  Danish library, this accomodates different work schedules.

4) Website/facebook often not updated. I've often been thinking 'are they closed this holiday? I mean, my husband doesn't have work off''. I've looked at the website and their facebook page, which mentions nothing. I've shown up. Closed due to presidents day.. or other. Annoying! Make a list of closed days and post it - please!!

But all in all - we've been very satisfied here!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar