torsdag den 1. august 2013

Birth of Lucia Rose

(any errors in the translation is due to google translate and me..)

4 days before giving birth:



Monday Eric turned 3

Tuesday I woke up with something that felt like painful braxton-hicks contractions (I was 35 +0) They remained erratic throughout the day and I thought that they'd probably go away again. Have had a single night with the same problem earlier. But no - when I got up Wednesday I could feel that we had to act quickly. I had nausea and could only drink a bit of coffee. I got up at 5 am because of the pain, and suddenly there were 2-6 minutes between the painful braxton-hicks that turned out to be real contractions, I told Claus that we had to hurry,  and soon we had showered, dressed kids and made their lunchboxes. Claus drove the kids to kindergarten. . Meanwhile, I called the hospital and filled the dishwasher and finished packing the bag..

Claus came and we went to the hospital.

They checked us in at the reception and I came into a room and was examined. 3 cm open. They offered me morphine drip, but when I give birth it's pretty quick so they ended up giving me something else. I also received antibiotics. In the U.S. they take a staphylococcal sample of the mother at the doctors appointment at week 36 but I never made it that far - and it's super dangerous for both mother and baby during labor and shortly after, if the mother has them - so no choice, antibiotics in the same IV .. I got something for the pain but can not remember what - it worked only shortly, then it hurt so much that I could not stand it.

It was 9 o'clock and I was checked again - 5 cm open so of course the medicine did not work, it was not for use in the active phase. Here I was taken to the delivery room - you usually check in but they did not think there was time. They offered me an epidural and when the contractions were so bad that I cried (yes, I screamed so badly did it hurt) and got over 200 on some scale (Claus saying they were worse than the other two, when the contractions didn't reach 200, but I'm not sure if the scales are the same - I have not been watching, I've been busy!), I said yes. It took 100 years (15 min) before the anesthetist came and then it  took another 15 minutes to place it.. The pain was crazy and I felt that the contractions tore me in half - and all the breathing exercises helped nothing! At the same time I shook uncontrollably - I have not experienced that before;  my body could not stop shaking violently. Very unpleasant!

Finally it seemed that the epidural and took the worst of the  pain - but the violent force of the contractions was still there. Claus said later that everybody in the delivery room (there were many more than you would see it in the Denmark - for example, there was a nurse from the NICU because I was only 35 +1) was very surprised by how polite I was in the breaks between the contractions when I could talk - for example, I said to the anesthetist when she had to apply the epidural 'I'm sorry but there's a contraction coming, wait please'. I do not remember that myself.

The good thing was that the epidural delayed the pushing phase slightly - with both the others the pushing phase has been a force of nature that has compelled me to push - which, with Silke, caused a 2.grads rupture because she flew out in one contraction. With Eric, I had an experienced midwife who very definitely forbade me to push - I could listen briefly and  wound up with only one one stitch. With Lucia was the first time I was coached to push as the epidural rendered the urge to push less strong. I was sure that I could not, and remember that I said 'I can't do this!. But after about 5 pushes she was out. I thought I was going to push again but her body just kind of slid out and the placenta came naturally shortly after (thank goodness).

She came up to me and screamed immediately and was allowed to lie on my stomach, Born at 10:21 so about 2 hours and 21 minutes after arrival to the hospital, and I went from 3 to 10 cm of about 2 and 20 minutes, so no wonder it hurt like h*ll. I didn't break, didn't even get a scratch .Claus cut the umbilical cord.

Due to the preterm birth took her blood sugar, which was low, so Claus went with her to the NICU. I had to stay on the maternity ward and got an IV to prevent bleeding. I could have walked but they insisted on a wheelchair to the NICU which is less than 50 meters away from the maternity ward, and I had an easy birth - they checked the my blood pressure every 3 hours, my bleeding and my womb - it was a bit bizarre with all the check-ups when you are accustomed to a single blood pressure check, and a 'you go right out and see if you can pee' - and nothing more. I was a little annoyed and felt they were trying to make me into a sick patient when I had only given birth, and an easy birth nonetheless..I was told that I should be on the maternity ward the first night, but they'd wheel (!) me to the NICU when needed so I could breastfeed / pump out. I was not allowed to walk the 50 meters to the neonatal alone before a doctor had discharged me:-S. Pretty weird.

After the birth I had some lunch there was pasta, vegetables, salad, fruit, milk, etc.. Something completely different than the toast you get in Denmark .. The day after discharged myself from the maternity ward since they were just too annoying..Now we come to the stay at the NICU..


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar